<<< Continued from previous page

If you will be hiring employees right off the bat then you may need to apply for an employee withholding number and for state worker's compensation insurance. Also keep in mind that many states require you to report new hires for the purposes of tracking deadbeat dads and/or moms.

If you will be operating a café within your store, then you will be subject to a host of Retail Food Establishment requirements. Contact your state's Department of Environmental Control for more information.

Each state is different and your state may have other business requirements. For example, South Carolina also requires you to file a business personal property form. The IRS page of state information is a good place to start your search for information. Your lawyer and accountant should also be able to advise you.

On a federal level, you may need to apply for an EIN (employer identification number) if you are planning to hire employees or if you are operating as a partnership or corporation. You can apply for an EIN even if you're not sure whether you will be hiring employees or not.

If you have any questions about registering your business, please email me at fictionaddiction@juno.com or post your query to the BookThink Open Shop Bookstores Forum and I'll do my best to help.

Stay tuned for the remaining part of this article: Part V - Creating Your Business Logo

< to previous article                

Questions or comments?
Contact the editor, Craig Stark

| Forum | Store | Publications | BookLinks | BookSearch | BookTopics | Archives | Advertise | AboutUs | ContactUs | Search Site | Site Map | Google Site Map

Store - Specials | BookHunt | BookShelf | Gold Edition & BookThink's Quarterly Market Report | DomainsForSale | BookThinker newsletter - free

Copyright 2003-2011 by BookThink LLC

 Subscribe in a reader

Comment Comment Comment Comment Comment Comment Comment Comment Comment